Interstate 70, the Kansas Turnpike, passes through the northern part of the city, with access from Exits 224 and 224A (U. K-32 runs through the center of Bonner Springs close to the Kansas River, leading east 4 miles (6 km) into Edwardsville and west 10 miles (16 km) to Linwood.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 15.99 square miles (41.42 km).
Bonner Springs acts as an incorporated city - retaining its own government and autonomy - while also being part of the consolidated city-county government known as the "Unified Government".
The UG consolidates the governmental functions of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, under one entity, while also performing typical county government functions for the incorporated cities of Bonner Springs and Edwardsville.
Bonner Springs is located at primarily on the north side of the Kansas River.
There were no water mains at the time, even though the city council had debated the issue for some time.
Many locals came to the rescue, forming a water bucket chain to help put out the fire, while they waited for a fire truck from Kansas City to arrive.
In 1885, Philo Clark purchased 300 acres (120 ha) from Mc Danield, with plans to capitalize on the mineral springs, then changed the name of the town to "Bonner Springs". Bonner, a publisher of the New York Ledger, who was a trotting-horse breeder of note, and Clark believed would help fund the proposed racetrack. Bonner Springs continued to be prosperous, with a growing population and new businesses.
In 1908, a fire caused over ,000 - over 0,000 in today's dollars - worth of damage and destroyed between 19 and 21 local businesses.